Meet the Counselors of Spring Term: Mya White

Mya White, MSW, LLMSW (she/her)

Professional/Educational Background: I am a Limited Licensed Master of Social Work. I Graduated from the Western Michigan University School of Social Work Program in June of 2023. During my time at WMU I specialized in studying Trauma and interpersonal violence. Most of my experience is working with survivors of violence, I have worked as an advocate in Human Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Domestic Violence shelters. As well as served as a support for individuals receiving sexual assault exams and worked on a crisis hotline. Some of you may recognize me as I was previously the K College Campus Advocate! 

Hometown: Cincinnati, OH. No I am not an Ohio State Fan! If ever in Cincinnati be sure to grab yourself a Cheese Coney!! 

Pets: Pictured with me is Tessy, my pug! I never had pets growing up and got Tess the second I moved out. She will be 10 years old this June. She loves pizza crust and hot cheetos! 

Identities: I am a disabled black woman. I have led multiple presentations and discussions on moving forward social justice initiatives while holding these identities, as the world was not built for us. 

My Approach: I consider myself a holistic healer, I think it is important to consider the whole person, their life and impacts in their journey. I also utilize empowerment and anti-oppression based methods. 

Mya White and her pug

Learn more about Mya on the Counseling Center’s staff page!